Monday, September 5, 2011

5 Days to go, Diary of a (potential) World Cycling Champion Shannon Johnson

5 Days to Race Day

Did the 110k RR course recon today. 4 letters for you guys "OMFG" it is by far the most challenging course I have ridden!! To give you some idea here goes, the climbs are like Hothams steepest parts with extra kicks half way & if you don't push you fall over! Some climbs just keep going forever, you turn & thinks its the top but then the next turn just keeps going up!! the decent is like humevale at 65kph with bits of pave in it, if not pave blind turns around farming roads that are covered in mud!! For those of you that know I hate it when I see or hear riders on the brakes for turns, I actually needed to adjust my front brake as I wore the pads down!!! This is a seriously tech course.

To see that is pretty special, even if my HR was buzzing close to 200 when I got there.
Cote de Stockeu is one bad ass climb!!!

I was also lucky enough that when I was getting ready to ride the course I noticed two other riders about to head off. I asked if I could join them & one just happened to be the current Vets RR World & French national Champ Andre Fosse. The weather was normal Belgian now, raining, windy, still a little warm though which made it that bit tougher.



On top of all that I honestly felt really good on the bike, maybe it was because so much of the course had the pros names on it as it's part of Liege Baston Liege & that gives you a lift or maybe just maybe I have found the right form. 7days time I will know.








On the way back to the hotel I inhaled a family pizza, now I've finished sorting out my gear, I'm into the bath then bed!! First thing in the morning the Venge gets a bath too then I'm off to do a recon of TT course.

Thanks again to everyone that helped make this happen, I will be doing everything in my power to make the dream I have in my head a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment